I’m looking for a part-time Systems Administration role in Melbourne, either in a senior capacity or happy to assist an existing sysadmin or development team.
I’m mostly recovered from a long illness and want to get back to work, on a part-time basis (up to 3 days per week). Preferably in the City or Inner North near public transport. I can commute further if there is scope for telecommuting once I know your systems and people, and trust has been established.
If you have a suitable position available or know of someone who does, please contact me by email.
Why hire me?
- I have over 20 years experience working with linux and unix
- Over 30 years in IT, tech support, sysadmin type roles
- I have excellent problem-solving skills
- I have excellent English language communication skills
- I can only work part time so you get a senior sysadmin at a discount part-time price, and I’m able to get things done both quickly and correctly.
- My programming strengths are in systems administration and automation.
- I’m a real-life cyborg (at least part-time, on dialysis)
- My programming weaknesses are in applications development.
- I can’t travel at all. I have to dialyse every 2nd night.
- I can’t work late (except via telecommute)
- I can’t drink alcohol, not even beer.
- I am on the transplant waiting list. At some time in the next few years I might get a phone call from the hospital and have to drop everything with 1 or 2 hours notice and be out of action for a few weeks.
Full CV available on request.
I’m in the top few percent on ServerFault and Unix & Linux StackExchange sites – if you want to get a preview of my problem-solving and technical communication skills, see my profile at:
Systems Administrator and Programmer with extensive exposure to a wide variety of hardware and software systems. Excellent fault-diagnosis, problem-solving and system design skills. Strong technical/user support background. Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly to non-IT people. Significant IT Management and supervisory experience.
- Unix, Linux
- Internet-based Services and Security
- Systems & Network Administration
- Virtualisation – Openstack, Libvirt, KVM, Xen, Vmware
- HPC Cluster – slurm, Torque, OpenMPI, pdsh
- Perl, Python, shell, awk, sed, etc scripting for systems automation
- Data extraction/conversion, processing, and reporting. (incl. CSV, XML, many others)
- Web server administation, incl. Apache.
- Postgresql, Mysql, Microsoft SQL Server, and Oracle
- DNS – bind8/bind9, nlnet’s nsd & unbound
- SMTP – postfix, sendmail, exim, qmail.
- High Level Technical Support
- Database design & development
- Mentoring and training of colleagues